AFRIKAANS HANDBOOK & STUDY GUIDE
The Revised AFRIKAANS HANDBOOK & STUDY GUIDE has been labeled ‘the ultimate Afrikaans Text Book and Reference Book’.
The book comprises:
This has been carefully revised, upgraded and expanded to include all areas that are usually tested.
This includes how to approach a comprehension, the various questioning and answer techniques and the necessary vocabulary.
This covers the various writing types and formats that students are expected to know.
The explanations and examples will ensure structured as well as creative writing.
The guidelines will give teachers the confidence to experiment with new formats.
This will equip students to deal with all aspects of literary analysis – content, characters, style, tone, intention etc. It provides the necessary vocabulary and gives examples of literary questions.
Poetry is also covered comprehensively.
The guidelines will aid students in the planning, construction and delivery of their speeches. It will provide the necessary vocabulary for oral topics and situations.
The 44 topics covered will expose students to basic vocabulary, high frequency words and words necessary for certain topics. These lists will prove invaluable for spelling, oral and written communication.
HINTS FOR STUDENTS
The question is always asked what students can independently do to improve their Afrikaans.
These personal and shared experiences may provide some ideas.
IDEAS FOR TEACHERS
These may help teachers to get their students reading, writing and speaking Afrikaans.
A Teacher’s Guide has been incorporated within the latest version of the book. This will help teachers in their preparations and give them ideas and guidance in their classroom teaching.
Please give serious consideration to promoting or prescribing the book.
The benefits of this will be many, especially if each student has a copy:
- It will help you in the classroom to teach a topic quickly and thoroughly.
- In future years you will simply be able to revise work you have previously covered, without re-teaching from scratch.
- You will cut out the effort and expense of photocopying notes, which usually get thrown away at the end of the year. This is largely the reason why students retain so little of their vocabulary and basic rules.
- You will empower your students to work and learn independently at home. You will therefore be able to make homework demands, in this way covering far more work and giving them the practice they so desperately need in writing and speaking Afrikaans.
- This book works all the way from Senior Primary to Matric. Students will therefore become very familiar with it, and will be able to retain and apply their knowledge when necessary.
- Your parents will be happy that their children are coping with Afrikaans, and feeling more positive about it.
Any student who loves Afrikaans actually loves and admires his or her Afrikaans teacher! This book will give you the freedom and opportunity to be the teacher you have always aspired to be.
Wishing you lots of luck and success in the wonderful work you are doing.