ENGLISH HANDBOOK & STUDY GUIDE
Thank you for your interest in the ENGLISH HANDBOOK AND STUDY GUIDE.
This comprehensive English Reference Book covers every aspect of the English
language. It will prove a useful and invaluable Reference Book, together with the
Dictionary and the Thesaurus.
The advantages of using the book are many, especially if each student has a copy.
- The book works all the way from Senior Primary to Matric – once purchased, it will accompany your students throughout their school years.
- There is no need to start at the beginning each year – you will simply revise what you did the previous year and build on this.
- Through constant usage the information will become familiar and will be retained from year to year.
- The basic rules and information will remain constant – it is only the application that will differ from grade to grade.
- It can be used in the classroom in order to teach or revise material. It can be used at home for independent study or homework tasks.
- It will save you and your students the time and tedium of copying from the board or overhead transparencies. This time could be spent more productively and enjoyably.
- It will save you the many hours spent in checking copied notes.
- It will save you the time, effort and expense of compiling and photocopying notes. These notes are usually discarded at the end of each year and the information has to be given again the following year.
- You will be able to teach English in context by using whatever is current, relevant and of interest to your students e.g. newspapers, magazines, television programs or films.
- You will be able to incorporate life skills and the outside world into your English lessons, thereby broadening your students’ worlds.
- The Contents Pages will prove invaluable work schemes for teachers and revision schemes for students.
- It will equip you to deal with all areas of English, in some of which you may lack confidence e.g. Public Speaking or Spelling Skills.
- The book will prove useful to parents who often want to help their children, but don’t know where to begin.
- The book will complement any other class text.
- The book will provide the basis for teaching English in a manner that fosters Outcomes Based Education principles and applications.
- The latest edition incorporates a Teacher’s Guide, which covers tasks and outcomes and will help you in your planning, preparation and teaching.
English is not a subject; it is a way of life and the whole world is your classroom.
Most teachers cannot do what they want to do because they are bogged down by what they have to do. Any student who loves English actually loves and admires his or her English teacher! This book will give you the freedom and opportunity to be the teacher you have always aspired to be.
Wishing you lots of luck and success in the wonderful work you are doing.
BERYL LUTRIN AND MARCELLE PINCUS